Can I help you find something??

31 January 2014

Gordon Ramsay's Sausage & Caramelised Onion Hot Pot

Hi, my name is Meg and I am addicted to Gordon Ramsay's Ultimate Home Cooking.

Seriously, so far there's been the Brisket, Baked Porridge, Potato & Beetroot Gratin and Grilled Lobster!

I almost feel like I could complete a Julie & Julia project for this cookbook! The Meg & Gordon project: Ultimate Home Cooking Challenge. Without  even thinking about it, I am working my way through all the recipes, so maybe I should turn it into a project of some sort! Original idea, no of course not, but a good idea, HECK YES (say's my enthusiastic Husband!!). We'll see...

This week has been another gloomy week in London, lots of rain and not a lot much else! It is soup weather and casserole weather! Apologies if you're reading in Australia and are sick of all of these warm and cozy meals, but the idea of getting excited about a salad right now is just not going to happen!!

Having OD'd on soup last week, I decided to give casseroles a whirl this week. And what better place to start then with a good old sausage hot pot! 

meg-made: Gordon Ramsay's sausage & caramelised onion hot pot
meg-made: Gordon Ramsay's sausage & caramelised onion hot pot
A little more involved then regular Bangers & Mash, but worth the extra effort!

Ingredients (serves 3-4)

Olive oil, for frying
8 best-quality pork sausages (I got GF ones)
2 red onions, peeled and finely sliced
2 knobs of butter
1 tbsp soft brown sugar
3 thyme sprigs, leaves only (I used rosemary)
150g button mushrooms, cleaned and quartered
2 tbsp aged balsamic vinegar
200ml red wine (I used port)
200ml beef stock
Small handful of parsley, roughly chopped
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

meg-made: Gordon Ramsay's sausage & caramelised onion hot pot
meg-made: Gordon Ramsay's sausage & caramelised onion hot pot
1. Preheat the oven to 180ÂșC/gas mark 4. Place a large hob-proof casserole dish over a medium heat. Add a dash of oil and fry the sausages until coloured all over. Transfer to a plate and set aside.


2. Add the onions and a couple of knobs of butter to the empty casserole dish. Stir in the sugar and thyme (or rosemary), then cook for 10–15 minutes over a medium heat, stirring now and again until the onions are completely caramelised. 

meg-made: Gordon Ramsay's sausage & caramelised onion hot pot
meg-made: Gordon Ramsay's sausage & caramelised onion hot pot
3. Add the mushrooms, stir, and continue to cook for 5 minutes. Pour in the vinegar and cook for a further 5 minutes.

4. Add the cooked sausages and red wine (or Port) to the dish, bring to the boil and bubble for 4–5 minutes to burn off the alcohol and reduce slightly. Add the stock, bring to the boil, then transfer to the oven for 18–20 minutes uncovered until the sausages are cooked through and the sauce is thick.

5. Sprinkle the finished dish with parsley and serve.

meg-made: Gordon Ramsay's sausage & caramelised onion hot pot
meg-made: Gordon Ramsay's sausage & caramelised onion hot pot
meg-made: Gordon Ramsay's sausage & caramelised onion hot pot
meg-made: Gordon Ramsay's sausage & caramelised onion hot pot
PMI
Plus = Comfort food at its best! 

Minus = Obviously not too healthy!! 

Interesting = I loved the rosemary instead of the thyme, it really took on a "Roast" flavour

Wishing you a wonderful weekend wherever you are! Are you watching the Super Bowl? We probably will stay up for some of it but otherwise are hoping to see some sunshine this weekend!!! Have a great one!

post signature

Psst!! If you are looking for a little more meg-made, I'd LOVE for you to follow along!


please-follow-me-on-pinterest please-follow-me-on-facebook please-follow-me-on-instagram

4 comments:

  1. Oh my, this looks EXCEPTIONAL. I may well be giving this a go next week- it just sounds too delicious not to!

    Alice xx | The Cup and Saucer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd really like it Alice! Just the right mix of comfort with a little extra! xx

      Delete
  2. Sounds like the perfect cold weather dish. I could never make this though... my husband HATES onions. You certainly do love Gorden Ramsay don't you!?

    Wishing you a lovely week.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm afraid it's reaching a bit of a worrying stage!! Shame about the onions, you could always do it with peppers or something like that...? xx

      Delete

Thanks for your comments, I SO love hearing from you! xx Meg