Can I help you find something??

03 April 2014

The Swimsuit Edition (making a nappy-accessible toddler swimsuit)

Sorry if you saw the title and thought you were going to see me in a swimsuit on here, I don't mean to induce panic!!! I promise you, that will NEVER happen!!!

No, no, don't worry, this post is about adding snaps (or press studs) to baby girls' swimmers so that they are easy to change them into a swimming nappy (diaper). 

meg-made DIY nappy accessible swimsuit
nappy accessible swimsuit nappy accessible swimsuit nappy accessible swimsuit nappy accessible swimsuit 
I have always had a bit of an obsession with baby shoes, and these days I have an obsession with baby swimsuits. They are just so cute! I have been taking Maddie to swimming lessons since she was 6 months old and she is such a little fish. She just loves being in the water and gets so excited she jumps in first (much to the horror of the lifeguards!). 

The whole process of going swimming though is not without its effort. The pool is about a half an hour walk from home, so we get suited and booted, pack all essentials and snacks and head off. I learned (the hard way) a long time ago that whilst swimming nappies are great for the actual swimming part, they don't actually hold that much on dry land, and so doesn't survive the 45 minute home-to-pool process without drenching baby, clothes and pram. Not fun!

So, I started adjusting Maddie's swimmers to have snap closes at the bottom to remove this problem. 

The hardest part of this little project is cutting into a pair of gorgeous swimmers!!! I mean seriously, how cute are these...

meg-made nappy accessible swimsuit

meg-made nappy accessible swimsuit
(Aunty Julie, this one is for you!)
meg-made nappy accessible swimsuit

meg-made nappy accessible swimsuit

 You will need matching thread, scissors and snap closures, which you can buy as individual snaps or in strips. I used strips but either would work.

meg-made nappy accessible swimsuit

I like to cut at the natural seam at the bottom of the swimsuit because it makes them more easily line up when you are finished. Pin the snaps in place and sew into place. 

meg-made nappy accessible swimsuit

Remember that one strip will be on the inside and will snap onto a strip on the outside (makes little sense now but when you are doing it, have a test before sewing!!). 

meg-made nappy accessible swimsuit

The finished product looks like this:

meg-made nappy accessible swimsuit

And you'd never know that they have been altered, other than we are now the first ones in the pool each week, not frantically running late and joining in half way through The Wheels on the Bus!!

meg-made nappy accessible swimsuit

It is so simple and I truly don't know why the makers don't factor them in already, but it makes the world of difference! So then you can get them all in their togs with a regular nappy and when you are poolside just change the nappy without having to get them fully undressed. 

Here's where I got each pair this season (and there may be a few sneaky hidden ones ready for summer, but shhh don't tell Husband!).

Hatley Whales
USA: Saks 5th Avenue
UK: Little Sunflowers 
Baby Gap (SOLD OUT)
http://www.gap.com

Zara Baby (RED ONLY)
www.zara.com


If your bub loves swimming and you are irked by the whole swimming nappy capacity issue, this is a quick fix that will make you do an internal pat on the back every time!

post signature

Psst!! If you are looking for a little more meg-made, I'd LOVE for you to follow along!


please-follow-me-on-pinterest please-follow-me-on-facebook please-follow-me-on-bloglovin please-follow-me-on-instagram

16 comments:

  1. Best idea ever! I can't believe baby swimwear doesn't already have this feature. I can't see, but my mother-in-law can. I may be sharing this post with her!

    What a gorgeous swimsuit model!

    www.windycitybaby.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shelly! I just love that she stands there sticking her belly out!!! I know, having done this, I can't believe they aren't already made this way!!! Thanks for popping by xx

      Delete
  2. Do those come in adult sizes? Maddie has me sold on those whales. Hands on hip and glance over shoulder- she's a natural model:) I was showing Neil and then saw I had a shout-out on that very picture. Haha!! Love it, miss you ladies. XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh I know, I so want the whales too! And it goes to show you can influence a little one from a distance!!! Pete saw that photo and said "who's baby is that", to which I replied "Julie's niece!!" We miss you too Aunty Jules xx

      Delete
  3. This is genius. What a great idea! I'm pregnant with a girl, so I will definitely have to remember this little trick. Awesome idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sara! Your little gymnast will definitely need this one day! You are going to LOVE shopping for baby swimsuits for Baby Mim!!!! I hope you keep feeling better! xx

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness! So simple and so clever!

    You have quite the little swimsuit model there. I love the last photo. What a hoot!

    Wishing you a lovely day.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe she's got some spunk hidden in there amongst the shyness thats for sure!!!! Thanks, it seems like such the glaringly obvious solution doesnt it! xx

      Delete
  5. OMG, I'm in love with the whales swimming suit! :)

    It's a great idea, I'm just not a pro sewer, so I would be terrified of messing up :(

    Greetings from Houston!

    <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erika! I was pretty nervous cutting into the swimsuit I'll tell you that!!!! You could always get a super cheap pair to practice on (the spotty Gap ones were £8 so they were first!). xx

      Delete
  6. That is such a great idea! Sadly, I do not have any little girls, only boys. But who know, maybe I will get a little niece or other baby girl relation. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Kelley. You'll be able to tell other mama's of girls how to make their pool-experience much easier and they'll praise you, it is such a nuisance!!!!! xx

      Delete
  7. This is a fabulous 'fix' for the diaper/pullup problem! Bravo! There will be thousands of mommies thanking you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thank you Karen!!! What a sweet comment! Lets hope the swimmers manufacturers start making them with them inbuilt soon!!! xx

      Delete
  8. Brilliant! I'd love to see you join link up with us at the Inspire Us Thursdays! link party at www.theinspiredwren.com.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know right?! It seems so simple and would make such a pesky thing so much easier!!!! Thanks for stopping by xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments, I SO love hearing from you! xx Meg