Can I help you find something??

25 November 2013

Potato and Beetroot Gratin, curtesy of Gordon Ramsay (again)

Another Gordon Recipe recipe. Did I mention that I love Gordon. Well I do.


I've been a fan of potato bake for as long as I can remember, well before I knew that it didn't actually count as a serve of vegetables for the day! Shame. It should, I would eat five serves every day. 

I love finding a new way of twisting an old favourite into something with a bit of a modern kick. When I saw Chef Ramsay's take on a potato gratin which included red beets, I was intrigued to give it a go. 

Ingredients
750g large potatoes, peeled
500g cooked whole beetroots, peeled
500ml double cream (I used Emla)
Salt and pepper

Method

1. After you have peeled the potatoes and beets you need to slice them all into rounds, approximately 1cm thick. There is no need to precook the potato.

2. Layer the potato around the base of your ovenproof dish until it is all covered, sprinkle with salt and pepper.

3. Place a layer of beetroot on top of the potato, and repeat until you have used all the potato and beetroot to form complete layers. 

4. Pour the cream around the entire gratin and bake in a moderate oven (180C/350F) for an hour. 


The colours are gorgeous and the beetroot really gives the potato such heavenly flavour.


There aren't many bad ways to eat potatoes thats for sure, but this has to be one of the best ways! Not really an every day side dish, but I cooked this when we had Brisket a few weeks back, and it was just sensational.


So if you want to double the flavour and halve the carbs, add some beetroot and make this gorgeous winter Potato & Beetroot Gratin!
post signature

3 comments:

  1. I love potation gratin (or dauphinoise YUM) but I've never seen one cooked like this. It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was trying to think of how this could be renamed in French... but Beetphinoise just wasn't rolling off the tongue (and does it even make sense?!). It really is delicious!!! If you like Potato Gratin, you'll love it! xx

      Delete
  2. Oh meg, this looks so fabulous and healthy!

    Thanks for sharing! I pinned this one (I think I need a board just dedicated to your recipes)!

    Wishing you a lovely day.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments, I SO love hearing from you! xx Meg