Can I help you find something??

10 October 2013

SillyNuts: Gluten Free Cinnamon Donuts

I'm not going to write an intro for these incredible treats, other than to explain the name!! What the?! Well, I wanted to have a play on the word Coeliac, because, praise the Lord, these are gluten free!! And when I gave one to Mr M as he walked in the door tonight, I asked him "how good are these?!" (rhetorical question of course), to which he replied "They're so good its just silly". And well, they look like a donut. So there we have it, may I introduce to you, the SillyNut. 


Ingredients
1 cup ground almonds/almond meal
1/3 cup white sugar (plus a little extra for dusting)
1 egg white
1 teaspoon cinnamon (plus a little extra for dusting)

Method:

1. Beat your egg white until it is as frothy and stiff as can be (about 3-4 minutes should do it).

2. Mix together the cinnamon with the sugar and slowly add it to the egg white while you are beating.

3. Continue to beat until it is all well combined.

4. Gently fold in the almond meal and mix well to fully incorporate into the sugary eggwhite.

5. Combine another few tablespoons of sugar and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon in a small bowl. Roll about a teaspoon of mixture into a ball and coat with the cinnamon sugar.

6. This step is optional, but I then made the holes in the centre by simply inserting a large icing tip into the middle of the ball, which made a hole. I kept the holes and rolled them to form full (and extra sweet) donut at the end too.

7. Bake in a moderate oven 180C/350F for ten minutes, or until just starting to brown.

Promise me this, you must eat some while they are still hot. They are too good not to.



They are crunchy and crisp on the outside, with a slightly dough dense centre.



But then, they are so good cold too. So you really can't lose. 

Okay go now, try them out, they are so good it's SILLY!!!!!!!!



post signature

2 comments:

  1. Oooooh, ahhhhh! I make something similar but with coconut flour. Yummy, yum, yum.

    Thanks for sharing.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very curious about coconut flour, I've never cooked with it. What is it like? Is it quite dense??? xx

      Delete

Thanks for your comments, I SO love hearing from you! xx Meg