Can I help you find something??

06 March 2014

Baked Ricotta Cheesecake with Caramel & Macadamia nuts (GF)

Baked Ricotta Cheesecakes, I've always knew that they existed out there, but never really wanted to stray away from my trusty New York Baked Cheesecake. But, in a bid to be a teeny bit of a healthier dessert option, I explored some cheesecake recipes until I found one that sounded divine. Lost are the health benefits when you add salted caramel sauce and caramelised macadamias, but hey, you can't win them all!!


I made this recipe on Friday when we had a good friend around for dinner and as my Husband said, I have to share this one straight away! It was so much lighter and less "tut tat" than a regular NY Baked. Tut tat is what I call the sensation of when the cheesecake sticks to the roof of your mouth, in case you were wondering!! 

I found this magnificent dessert on Yue's Handicrafts and its one for the books thats for sure. 


You could use any nut you like, but macadamias are by far my favourite nut and was one of the main reasons why I chose this recipe in the first place. There are a few steps involved in this cheesecake, and I plan to use the standard base recipe again and experiment with a citrus topping. 

I followed the recipe, all but for the base. I bought some gluten free cookies to use with melted butter to make the base, so that the entire dessert could be gluten free. I also ended up baking my cheesecake for an additional 15 minutes, for some reason it just seemed way under after 40 minutes. 



Here is the recipe, straight from Yue..

For the Crust160 g any dry/sweet biscuits
40 g unsalted butter, melted

Ricotta cheesecake filling400 g ricotta cheese
200 g cream cheese
120 g caster sugar
1/2 vanilla pod, split & seeded
4 eggs
75 g soured cream

Preparation
Preheat oven at 140C.
Line a parchment paper on the base & grease the side.
Whiz the biscuits into crumbs & mIx with butter, press into the prepared pan.

Method:
1. In large bowl, cream together the ricotta cheese, cream cheese, sugar & vanilla seeds.

2. Whisk in eggs, one at a time, followed by soured cream until smooth.

3. Pour into the prepared pan & bake for 40 min.

4. Turn off the heating, leave the cheesecake to cool inside the oven.

5. Remove from the oven & refrigerate for at least 2 h.

Butter caramel sauce160 g granulated sugar
65 g unsalted butter
100 ml whipping cream

1. In a saucepan, heat together the butter & sugar until amber brown.

2. Carefully add the whipping cream & stir until smooth.

3. Remove from heating & set aside for cooling.

Caramelised macadamia nuts200 g macadamia nuts
120 g granulated sugar

1. Roast the macadamia nuts at 140C for 15 min & line a tray with a parchment paper.

2. In a clean pan, heat sugar until it caramelises.

3. Add the nuts & mix gently until most nuts are coated in caramel,

4. Pour the nuts on the tray & leave to set.

5. Once set, chop roughly & use for decoration.



If you enjoy a cheesecake and are keen to try a slightly lighter version, give this one a try! Its a bit of a mess, but you'll enjoy cleaning it up!!!

post signature

Psst!! If you are looking for a little more meg-made, I'd LOVE for you to follow along!


please-follow-me-on-pinterest please-follow-me-on-facebook please-follow-me-on-bloglovin please-follow-me-on-instagram

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh Meg this looks aamaaaazing! So decadent, and a bit different to the normal fruity cheesecakes too- yum!
    Alice xx | The Cup and Saucer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was soooo good! Super sweet of course, but so delicious! I don't know that I have ever made a fruity cheesecake though!!! Mine are just usually a classic baked... with ice-cream and cream.... I'm intrigued by the fruit concept... do tell!!! Xx

      Delete

Thanks for your comments, I SO love hearing from you! xx Meg