Can I help you find something??

08 July 2013

Chai Frappe

Summer is here! Like, actual warm weather, sunny days, and warm nights that even justify the fan being on! It may be a few months behind our hopes and dreams, but it is here. And it may go in about a week, but for now, it is here and we are making the most of it.

And what says summer more than an iced frappuccino! I sneak into the Starbucks down the road from us every now and then (read: once on Friday cause it was hot enough for it) and have a caramel frappe (no coffee) and it is just delightful. It is quite a treat though, as I know, I know, how bad it must be for me! 

So, I thought, if I have a food processor, if I have ice, why can't I just make one at home. That way I know exactly what is in it, and how bad it is for me!!! 

Or not bad, as it turns out! 

I saw the recipe for this in Crazy, Sexy, Kitchen, and my general rule of thumb for life is that if a vegan eats it, it's good for you! I love my chai lattes in winter, and miss them terribly since leaving Australia! There's the odd antipodean who makes a good chai in London, but generally they are the syrup chai if you're even able to find one. So finding a way to enjoy chai's in summer is perfection!!

I've made this frappe twice in the past 2 days, once with the dates and once without (and with a sneaky scoop of icecream.....yada yada it was delicious and I'd just been slogging the heavy baby and heavy pram up all the hills in London, and so I figured I earned it). 

Chai Latte Frappe


Ingredients
3 cups almond milk
1/2 T ginger (I used ground but fresh it recommended)
1/2 T cinnamon
1/2 t cardamon
1 t vanilla extract
2 dates pitted (and soaked to soften)
sea salt to taste
ice

Method

1. In a high speed blender (or food processor if that's all you have like moi), blend all ingredients until smooth. 

And that is all. 



It is nutty and sweet thanks to the almond milk, vanilla and dates, but the cardamom gives it an extra zing. The salt helps to enhance each flavour, so don't forget to add the salt. 

Refreshing and light, and just what is yearned for on a warm and sunny afternoon. With no guilt! 


post signature

2 comments:

  1. Um, wow- this looks amazing!! I've never been huge on Chai- I'm not big on really milky drinks- but this may just be converting me, as the spices sound SO good! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious! Chai is one of my favorite flavored drinks! How much ice do you put in to the mix?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments, I SO love hearing from you! xx Meg