Can I help you find something??

17 April 2013

Sweet Potato Thins, made not so thinly!

I have a new Gluten Free baking cookbook! Yay! New ideas! I have already baked a few recipes from it and so far it has been really educational. I am finding myself learning a whole new way of baking and learning about an entire new range of foods. I was very comfortable with the difference between self raising and plain flour, I knew what adding baking powder would do to a recipe and knew when to use bicarb soda instead. But, rice flour, potato starch, tapioca flour, xantham gum... what do I know of these! The answer most certainly is not a lot. But, I'm happy to be learning.

We had our adorable neighbours over for afternoon tea last weekend, it was time to meet our daughters' boyfriends' parents. They are so sweet. Their two year old little boy calls Baby M his girlfriend, and loves hearing her crying (?) in the hallway outside their door! So we had them over so that we could chat more than by the mailboxes! It was fun to have afternoon tea and I made a few little treats for the occasion. I will post about the cupcakes soon, but firstly I made these simple Sweet Potato Thins.

They were made even more simple due to the fact that I had baked 5 sweet potato's for Baby M's meals, so just kept one aside for these sweet treats. Easy. Otherwise, you'll need to bake/steam a sweet potato and then let it completely cool before baking.

The first thing I learned with Gluten Free baking is to make up a batch of Gluten Free Flour Mix (A), which can be used for cakes, biscuits, etc. It is a mix of rice flour, potato flour and tapioca flour. The quantities are listed here.

Ingredients
 
1 Large sweet potato
150g Gluten Free flour mix (105g white rice flour + 30g potato flour + 15g tapioca flour)
1 teaspoon baking powder
Pinch of salt
40g caster sugar
50g margarine
1 medium egg
Icing sugar for dusting

Method:

1. Bake the sweet potato until soft, about an hour. Leave to cool and then mash with a fork.

2. Place the flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and margarine in a food processor and pulse until you have the consistency of fine breadcrumbs. I love doing this with my fingers, so I rub the butter between my fingers until it has reached the desired consistency. I find this helps add air into the recipe too.


 3. Add the egg and cold sweet potato and mix well


4. Roll the dough into a log and chill in the fridge for an hour.

5. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and cut the dough into 5mm slices and place on the tray.


6. Flatten until about 3mm thick, or keep them a bit thicker if you want more of a biscuit (cookie) consistency, which is what I did.

7. Bake for 15 minutes or until the edges start to lightly brown.

8. Leave to cool and dust with icing sugar.



If you want to have a light icing on top of these if you have made them into biscuits (cookies), mix together icing sugar, butter and lemon juice until a spreadable consistency. Spread over each biscuit and allow to set for ten minutes. 

 
post signature
Printable Sweet Potato Thins

4 comments:

  1. Looks delish. If we use regular flour can we just substitute the same amount?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tam! I haven't made them with regular flour yet but would think you would put a little bit more because GF baking is a bit wetter than regular. But perhaps add the flour in stages so you get the right consistency. Let me know if you try it and how much you used!! xx

      Delete
  2. These look amazing! Yet another recipe for me to try! Thanks!

    Wishing you a lovely day!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do! And report back! I hope you've had a lovely weekend!! xx

      Delete

Thanks for your comments, I SO love hearing from you! xx Meg