Can I help you find something??

06 April 2013

Joyful Honey Joys


Sometimes simple is best! 

I don't know whether Honey Joys are an Australian thing or not, but none of our friends over here seem to know of them, so perhaps so! At every birthday party growing up, there was always Honey Joys, Fairy bread (sprinkles on buttered bread) and Chocolate Crackles (rice crispies with chocolate, basically!). I feel like we can't just crack out fairy bread for afternoon tea as adults, and I cannot eat chocolate, so, the honey joys, they're all mine. 


They are so simple, but so tasty! Probably not substitutable for breakfast food even though they're all basic breakfast ingredients, but they make one hell of an afternoon tea snack.

Ingredients:

90g butter (3.17oz)
1/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoons honey
4 cups Corn Flakes

Method

1. Melt butter, sugar and honey together in a saucepan until it is frothy. 

2. Add cornflakes and mix throroughly. 

3. Divide between patty papers

4. Bake at 150C/300F for 10 minutes

5. Cool and enjoy! 


Simple right! The honey forms a crust around the corn flakes so they're crunchy and sweet, with a chewy gooey base. Mmmmm...

And to make them a little more luxurious, you can use Crunchy Nut corn flakes, (which are the second type in this photo), where the addition of nuts and lets be real, more sugar, is always a welcome addition to any afternoon snack.

AND, I have Gluten Free corn flakes so this is totally doable as a GF snack too! Winning!

I think the thing I like most about them though, is the memories that they stir in me whenever I eat one. Such happy times running around my friends' yard having tea parties in the cubbyhouse. I hope my baby girl likes them one day too!

2 comments:

  1. I love these! We used to make a sort of variety on them, probably a LOT worse for you- 3 mars bars, 3 oz butter- melt together, then stir through as many rice crispies as the mix can take. Oh so good but oh so naughty! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds kind of incredible though! Oh to have a child's metabolism again!! xx

      Delete

Thanks for your comments, I SO love hearing from you! xx Meg